Saturday, April 12, 2008

Who are we?


Today I had a great experience. I got a chance to verbalize a reasonable example of one of my basic beliefs - WE CAN BE ANYTHING.


We were discussing this and that - me, my grandmom and 2 more granddaughters of my grandmom. I was mentioning that I have a home task in Self-Presentation and Impression Management. The home task contains of 3 self-reflection writings - me, ideal me and how others see me.


Grandmom asked me - how can I know who I am if I don`t listen what others say about me. I strongly opposed her. How can others know my values, my beliefs if I don`t communicate it out? Thus others cannot judge what they are not seeing. Then... a reasonable example crossed my mind and which I expressed. What if I get different perspectives from others? What if one person says I am stupid and an other says I am smart? Then who am I? There might be a lot of different opinions from different people and which one a person should identify with oneself.


Here comes the answer - you can be anything you decide to be. People are not deciding for you who to be. You are the master of your life.


I am discovering that people are a great source of learning. Even if they are not sharing the same values and believes as you do.

No comments: